Exhibits

































































































 


CURRENT & UPCOMING EXHIBITS



Stitched Together in Time and Place: Valentine Family Quilts

July 5 through August 30
— Mason House

Held in conjunction with the dedication of the "Mary E. Valentine Collections Wing" at the Society's Robinson House, this colorful display features a variety of quilts that were once owned or made by members of the Valentine family of Bethel.   During the exhibit run, selected portions of the documentary film “Why Quilts Matter: History, Art & Politics" will be shown (acquisition of this film has been made possible by the Florence Bickford Hastings Traditional Crafts Fund).  Photo: Nell Whitmore Valentine (1888-1982) with a collection of her quilts, ca. 1970.

Thursday through Saturday, 1:00 to 4:00 pm; Howe Exhibit Hall, Dr. Moses Mason House; free (donations welcome)



In the Field & On the Homefront: Bethel During the Civil War

Through 2014
— Robinson House

Exhibition extended!  Commemorating the 150th anniversary of the Civil War, this exhibit was the Bethel Historical Society's contribution to the 2013 "Maine Civil War Trail" project.  Using rarely seen artifacts and images from the Society’s permanent collection, the exhibit explores the effects—profound and poignant—of the Civil War on the western Maine town of Bethel, once known as “the Athens of Oxford County.”  Although the War years resulted in the loss of many of Bethel’s loyal sons, they also witnessed the town’s development as an important inland Maine center of commerce, industry and tourism.



Dr. Moses Mason House

July & August, Thursday through Saturday, 1:00 to 4:00 PM; and year-round by appointment


Begun in 1813 and opened to the public in 1974, the Bethel Historical Society's Dr. Moses Mason House is one of the few period house museums in northern New England available for tours year-round (open by appointment September through June; please call our main office in the Robinson House at 207-824-2908 or 800-824-2910 to schedule a visit).  Discover life as it was lived in the highlands of western Maine during the first half of the nineteenth century as you join one of our trained guides in a tour of nine rooms filled with fine examples of the decorative arts, many of which were in the house during the years of the Masons' occupancy (1813-1869).  During your tour, you will view portraits of Dr. and Mrs. Mason painted during the 1830s by Chester Harding of Boston, and view their grand entrance hall with its exceptional circa 1835 Rufus Porter School wall murals.



Bethel: A Historic Town

Expanded Exhibit Re-opening Soon!
Robinson House

Situated in the midst of high mountains and fertile river valleys, the town of Bethel traces its origins to a 1768 grant from the Commonwealth of Massachusetts to men whose ancestors had fought in a campaign to conquer Canada in 1690.  Known throughout the latter part of the eighteenth century as "Sudbury Canada" (in honor of these original grantees, many of whom were from Sudbury, Massachusetts), the town was incorporated as "Bethel" (from the Book of Genesis, meaning "House of God") in 1796.  This on-going exhibition provides an overview of the town's past through the use of historic images and selected artifacts from the Bethel Historical Society's permanent collection.  (Included is a scale model of the 1886 Bethel Chair Company mill, constructed and donated by Society member James Auman.)  Click here to visit the online version of "Bethel: A Historic Town."

Past Exhibits

click here

Home  |  Hours & Facilities  |  New & Noteworthy  |  Events  |  House Museum
Research Library  |  Museum Shop  |  Membership


Site maintained by the Bethel Historical Society
©1998-2014 Bethel Historical Society